Friends and family take note! This is how you help indie authors succeed.
- Write a review! (any place online is good, but Amazon, Goodreads, BN, Smashwords–in that order of importance–are best because of the way they run online algorithms.)
- Offer words of support. (It’s hard. Writers need to know someone out there is even reading them.)
- Suggest their book to a book club.
- Follow their blog. (hint hint. there’s a little “follow” button hiding somewhere on this page.)
- Add their book(s) on Goodreads.
- Follow them on social media. (even better, interact with them!)
- Talk about their book with friends. (word of mouth is the most powerful promotional tool there is.)
- Give their books away as gifts. (If you have a personal connection to the author you could probably have them personalized.)
- Suggest your local library carry the book.(If the writer is an indie and is open to it, ask your librarian to host a book event with the author.)
- Buy their book! (if you bought it online and leave a review it will have a “Verified review” tag which carries a little more credibility.)
It should probably be noted that many lists just like this float around the internet. If the www was a convenience store, I’d be a shoplifter.